Chicago Freecycle Volunteer Mods Needed
Do you think Freecycle(TM) is a really cool community resource? Is it helping you clear out your clutter? Do you wonder why nobody thought of doing this before? Maybe you should be a volunteer moderator for this group!
The Chicago Freecycle Network needs more local moderators and we are asking for volunteers. If you are interested, please read through this entire email and the requested qualifications. Then if you think you meet most or all of the requirements, get back to us as soon as possible, preferably by March 31st.
PLEASE NOTE: It is very important that you read through this ENTIRE ADMIN and respond to the correct email with the requested information in order to be considered. Please send us your answers in the next two weeks. We appreciate that you are willing to step forward and we want to make sure that everyone who wants to do this now gets a chance. If this is not a good time for you to volunteer, you may want to think about applying in the future.
Depending on the amount of submissions we receive may not be able to respond to you immediately, but we will respond to all that apply so please bear with us. Any submissions without all of the information requested will not be considered and you may not receive a response. We need moderators who are able to follow these instructions so please take your time in responding. We would hate to miss out on the opportunity to work with you simply because you did not send in the correct information.
If you have applied for this position in the past, please know that all are welcome to apply again.
MODERATORS SHOULD HAVE THESE QUALIFICATIONS
* Must live in Chicago and have been a member of the group for at least a couple of months and actively posting.
* A basic knowledge of the Freecycle rules. They can be looked up and learned fairly quickly and we are always here to help when you need it.
* Time! Volunteers should have at least a couple of hours throughout the day and/or evening to devote to moderating a group. We are looking for either full-time or part-time volunteers, so a few hours a week and/or on the weekends is perfect. It is a volunteer position - there is no pay or tangible benefits, just the joy of knowing you're giving back to your community. Plus, it can be a lot of fun and we have a great team!
* Computer, internet access, and computer skills. (Obviously another "must.")
* Internet experience. Knowledge of Freecycle and the website is a huge plus, but not required. Again, we are always here to help you!
* Writing skills. Correct spelling, proper punctuation, complete sentences, and proper grammar are a must. You must not type in "chat mode" or "IM mode." This means no all upper or lower case typing!
* The ability to follow instructions, and the willingness to work as part of a team and to learn the quirks of the Freecycle website. We have national guidelines and must follow them to remain part of the national and international Freecycle organization.
* A positive attitude and the ability to keep your cool when dealing with irate or irresponsible members.
*An interest in environmental causes - you know that Freecycle isn't about FREE stuff but about keeping stuff out of the landfills and building community!
There are materials available to help teach people the tricks of moderating a Freecycle group and the current moderators will train and help you throughout the process.
Tell us about yourself! Please let us know:
1. Your full name and where you live... exact address is not required, zip code is).
2. The email address and username that you use on Freecycle.
3. If you belong to any other Freecycle groups and which one(s). Also if you use any other email addresses or ID’s on these groups.
4. Any relevant experience that would be helpful for us to know or if you have previous experience moderating a Freecycle Group.
5. Your answers & thoughts to ALL of the above qualifications.
6. How much time you can dedicate to the position. For example what days/times you are most likely available.
7. Anything else that you would like us to know to help you be considered for this position.
If this sounds like something you'd like to do, please get back to us right away! Include any questions that you may have regarding the position. And if you know someone else who would make a good moderator, please pass this message on to that person. Let us know if you have any questions, we're happy to help!
IMPORTANT: The following MUST BE DONE to be considered:
1 - To ensure your email is seen, please ONLY respond to the moderator email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses to any other email address will not be seen.
2 – Please make sure that your subject line reads: “CHICAGO FREECYCLE MOD JOB”. We receive lots of emails every day and want to be able to view yours separately. Responses without this subject line will not be considered.
3 – Make sure you have answered ALL of the above 7 questions.
Please note, any email NOT following the above steps and not including all of the requested information may not be answered. Unfortunately if you cannot follow this email, this may not be the best position for you.
Once we have heard from all responders and have talked to you individually, the Moderation Team will make their decisions and let you know. Depending on the number of responses we receive, it may take us a bit to get back to you, so please bear with us.
Thank you for considering joining us and we look forward to your response!
Nikki Chicago Freecycle Network Volunteer Lead Moderator
Reply to email@example.com PLEASE PUT “CHICAGO FREECYCLE MOD JOB” IN THE SUBJECT LINE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Copyright (C) 2003 The Freecycle Network (Freecycle.org) All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries.