St. Paul (Ramsey County)
Group rules and Etiquette
For the benefit of our new members and for older members who may need a reminder, here's the full list of rules and regulations
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example:
* No pornography, * No alcohol, * No tobacco, * No drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc), * No firearms or other weapons
This is our main Freecycle rule to live by, and it's a pretty easy one at that. This rule applies across the whole global Freecycle Network, not just our little corner.
2. SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view:
* OFFER: Thingamajig (Location) * TAKEN: Thingamajig (Location) * WANTED: Thingamajig, any condition. (Location - please use this sparingly and don't offer money) * RECEIVED: Thingamajig (Location) * ADMIN: new ideas, thoughts, etc. (Used by Mods only, These are found at the top of any of the posts pages)
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
4. NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organisation for this. It can be quite fun.
5. FAIR OFFER POLICY. We ask our members to wait a few days after offering an item to give folk who aren't online all the time a chance to ask for it. The fastest finger isn't always the best one to give it to, there may be more deserving folk out there who aren't online 24/7.
6. RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails and keeps your personal details safe.
7. NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose ;p
8. PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR MESSAGES IN TEXTTALK. Lots of our members are elderly or have learning difficulties/literacy problems and don't understand text. They may have the exact thing you need so don't stop them from reading your mails!
9. PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME "WANTED" POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH.
10. YOUR LOCATION: The location is where you are, your town/village etc is fine, we don't need the road/street name in the post .... part of our ethos is 'keep it local' and we don't advocate wasting fuel to collect items a long way away which is why we insist on you giving your location; members can see where you are before replying to your message. By doing this, it drastically cuts down the amount of 'no-shows' - folk not turning up - when they realise how far away from them you are.
11. POST YOUR ITEMS SEPARATELY. Please post each item separately - this makes it easy for you to manage your posts and keep them up to date so that members are aware of what you are offering or requesting.
12. A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: Be nice. We've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle Member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual. They are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.)
Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-Day Rule.)
13. SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as an organisation assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch for the person without mentioning whether or not you will be at home at the time of pickup.
14. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Every group is different but Freecycle(TM) claims no responsibility for animals placed or solicited through the activities of the list, its participants or bystanders. We strongly discourage exchanges of animals if there is any indication that a potential pet owner is not a loving and responsible individual. If you seek a home for any animal, and you're not prepared to spend adequate time to assure your pet a loving and suitable home, then we urge you to call on one of your local non-profit animal homes or rescue organisations.
15. PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe a few days if you use the Fair Offer Policy, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun - put the names in a hat, pick the daftest, most polite, rudest, most sensible, closest email - you choose any way you want! Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. There have been cases of fights breaking out when two or more folk arrived at the same place to collect the same item - AND it wasted their fuel which is never a good thing.
Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners and moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
TIPS TO ORGANISE ALL OF THE NEW E-MAILS YOU ARE GETTING:
a) CREATE A SEPARATE E-MAIL FOLDER & AUTOMATICALLY HAVE FREECYCLE STUFF GO TO IT. Create a separate folder in your email programme & have Freecycle stuff sent to it automatically with a new rule under tools/message rules/mail/or whatever.
b) SET YOUR EMAIL DELIVERY OPTION (which means you'll just browse the messages online). You can set your personal preferences on the "My Groups" page in the drop down box that appears when you click on the 'My Groups' link (top right). Please note when setting your preferences to "No Email", you will not receive postings via email but you will still receive Admin messages from the moderators.
If you encounter any problems, please contact the moderators of the group at: FreecycleStPaulMNemail@example.com
For technical assistance please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once your Offer has been Taken or your Wanted has been received, do not post a new message to the group. Click on the "My Posts" link under the "My Freecycle" link on the top right and next to the post that is no longer available, select the "Mark as Taken" or "Mark as Received" option. If you have made a post in error you can remove the post completely from My Freecycle by selecting the "Remove post from My Freecycle" option.
That should just about do it. Have fun keeping good stuff out of landfills!
©2009, The Freecycle Network(R). All rights reserved
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.