Etiquette / Group Guidelines
INTRODUCTION TO FREECYCLE.ORG:
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: no pornography, no alcohol, no tobacco, no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), no firearms or other weapons, no unregistered waste carriers
2. SUBJECT LINE OF POSTS: • OFFER: sofa (village) no postcodes please • TAKEN: sofa (village) [Used in conjunction with an Offer] • WANTED: sofa (village) [Please use this post sparingly and don't offer money.] • RECEIVED: sofa (village) [Used in conjunction with a Wanted] • ADMIN: [Used by group moderators - local policy issues, etc.]
3. WANTED POSTS ARE TO BE USED SPARINGLY. Due to the vast number of "wanted" posts coming through and because we have found OFFERs to more likely result in a successful freecycle transaction, please note the rules below: * Please do not post more than 1 WANTED item per week (even you cancel or receive an item, only one item is to be posted). * One item per post, no shopping lists. * Please do not repeat the same WANTED item in 30 days (wait for the full 30 days to go past). * Items posted to another Freecycle group will not be accepted on Alexandria. * Please only post wanted items to your local group. Alexandria Freecycle tries to increase the ratio of OFFER:WANTED posts to make the group successful.
4. RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails. 5. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. 6. NO SWAPS/TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local swap/trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached. No money ever changes hands. There is a scam where people ask for delivery costs – do not fall for this! 7. NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
8. NO POSTS ABOUT ANIMALS FOR BREEDING OR FOOD PURPOSES. Beyond this, some groups do allow non-breeding-related posts to find new homes for pets, but ask that it be kept legal and lovingly careful. Other groups prefer not to allow pet postings. This group does not allow pet postings.
9. BE NICE. A brief note on Freecycle etiquette: we are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
10. SPECIFIC GROUP RULES For the safety of our children we ask you not to offer the following items that have been deemed unsafe:
* Cribs with slats more than 2 3/8 inches apart or the holes in the mesh are 1/4 inch or greater in size * Cribs with corner posts. * Cribs made before January 1994 * Cribs with broken or missing pieces * Walkers with wheels * Car seats more than 6 years’ old * Car seats that have been in a crash * Car seats that have no model number or date of manufacture * Car seats that are on a recall list and the company is no longer in existence
If you are receiving a baby/child item, it is your responsibility to check for recalls and safety before you use it. The following links from the Consumer Product Safety Commission website provide excellent information:
PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as an organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pick up.
If you encounter further problems, please contact the moderators of the group at: http://groups.freecycle.org/Alexandria, VA For technical assistance please send an email to: myFreecycleadmin@Freecycle.org
That should just about do it. Have fun and thank you for being a part of The Freecycle.org Network®!
_Changing the world, one gift at a time_
Your Alexandria, VA Moderator
Copyright © 2015 The Freecycle Network® (http://www.Freecycle.org). All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries. ======================================================================
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.