BANSTEAD GROUP GUIDELINES & DISCLAIMER
BANSTEAD GROUP GUIDELINES
FREECYCLE.ORG® exists with the purpose of keeping out of the landfill those reusable, tangible items that are in such condition that can be used by others who have a different need or outlook. Please be explicit in your post about the condition of your offering. Please make sure that you fully describe any item you offer so that there is no misunderstanding. If it is grubby, stained, in need of a good clean or broken/damaged in some way please state this in your post. Many members are quite happy to clean or repair, or in some cases up cycle an item but what members don't like is to be misled. As a general courtesy for everyone, please keep your post updated. If something is taken, remove the posting. If you receive something, remove the posting.
Whilst Freecycle.org does everything it can to prevent scammer getting through, scammers will always find a way. There are various different ways that they can do this:
1. Scammers have been using numbers beginning with 070 to attempt to gain money for items. These are premium rate numbers are not genuine. If you see, or are emailed, a number like this please do not respond and report it to your group moderators. 2. Delivery costs requests. Many scammers will attempt to use this way to gain money from you for an item they do not have. They will often say they live in another part of the country and will have to send the item by courier. They often say that the moderators were too slow in approving the post. Again do not respond and please forward any information to your group moderator.
EMAIL ADDRESSES, PHONE NUMBERS AND HOME ADDRESSES
For your own safety, please do not include your phone number or your email address in your post. This is not necessary as members are able to get in touch with you using the "Reply to this post" link underneath your post. BANSTEAD GROUP GUIDELINES & DISCLAIMER
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: • No alcohol, tobacco, firearms or other weapons, profanity or sexual content, medications (of any kind, including over-the-counter supplements, vitamins, etc.); • Never send money for anything offered on Freecycle® (this includes money for shipping/couriers); • All copyrighted material must be the original media; • In local groups that allow resale, full disclosure of intent to resell must be disclosed up front; • No unregistered waste carriers [UK only].
2. WANTED POSTS ARE TO BE USED SPARINGLY. Numerical limits on Wanted posts vary by local group.
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS OR PROSELYTIZING.
4. NO SWAPS/TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local swap/trading organisation for this. It can be quite fun.
5. NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
6. NO POSTS ABOUT ANIMALS FOR BREEDING OR FOOD PURPOSES. Beyond this, some groups do allow non-breeding-related posts to find new homes for pets, but ask that it be kept legal and lovingly careful. Other groups prefer not to allow pet postings.
7. BE NICE. A brief note on Freecycle etiquette: we are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
DISCLAIMER. FREECYCLE® NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners, moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as an organisation assumes no responsibility for this risk. If you, for example, are living alone, you may want to say that you'll leave the item on the front porch while you are not home or arrange for a drop-off at a public place. ___________________________________________________________ ©2003, The Freecycle Network®. All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in various countries.
SPECIFIC BANSTEAD FREECYCLE GROUP RULES: ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO These products are NOT permitted.
ANIMAL POSTS We have received several complaints regarding the posting of pets on Freecycle ® Banstead Group. With this in mind we have decided that posts offering or wanting pets will no longer be allowed. It is not possible to check the welfare of the animal properly and there are plenty of animal welfare charities and organizations available to offer help on this matter.
CAPITAL LETTERS Please try not to use too many capital letters. This is known as shouting and many people see it as being rude.
CHARITIES. Please feel free to ask for items for a charity but do not mention that the item is for a charity or the name of the charity. We like to treat all of our members exactly the same and obviously if a charity is asking for an item a member might be persuaded to give them an item rather than a regular member. Please do not ask for donations for prizes etc., as this is not what Freecycle is all about. Our aim is to keep unwanted items out of landfill.
COPIED MATERIAL. Copied Media Copy DVD’s, CD’s or any other format are not permitted, as these are protected by copyright and copying such material is illegal.
COUPONS/TICKETS. These items, no matter the kind, can only be OFFERED, not requested.
CROSS POSTING. When someone cross-posts a request/offer over several Freecycle™ groups, members who have subscribed to multiple groups in the area also see that same post several times over. This repetitive posting is a concern to members because it clogs up their mail boxes. It also does not give your home group the advantage of your generosity. Banstead Freecycle Group please be courteous and wait at least 24 hours before posting to another group. This will allow the group members some time to look at the posts and maybe take or offer your item.
DRUGS/FOOD. No drugs of any kind are to be posted on this site. This includes Prescription drugs, Over-the-Counter drugs, Illegal or legal drugs or highs, and contact lenses. Food may be offered but please give use by / best before date. If it is out of date, you may still offer it to be used perhaps for something else other than human consumption.
FIREWORKS. These are not permitted as they are a restricted item, restricted to adults over the age of 18. As Freecycle does not ask for its users to be over the age of 18, we cannot accept the risk of fireworks being requested by young people. FUEL/OIL. Fuel or Oil of any kind is not permitted.
GAS CYLINDERS. Gas cylinders containing compressed gases which are apparently empty may in fact still contain some original content. This also applies to Fire Extinguishers. Unless properly handled, orphaned gas cylinders are a safety risk because their contents can be pressurized - presenting the risk of the violent release of their contents - they could be flammable (such as propane, or acetylene) or toxic, such as chlorine. If a cylinder is no longer needed it should be returned to a local dealer of the company owning the cylinder. However, if you are unable to trace the owner of the gas cylinder, some local authority civic amenity sites may offer a cylinder disposal service, where they accept ‘orphaned cylinders’. They can store them in a safe manner prior to collection by the cylinder-owning company. Soda Stream gas canisters are permitted.
ITEMS TO BE RE-SOLD. Please DO NOT ask for an item from a member if you intend to sell it on. This site should not be used as a means of obtaining free items for profit. When replying to an OFFER post, if you do intend to sell the item, you MUST make this clear to the member offering it, at the time you ask for it. How much you paid for an item is not necessary and should not be included. Money is never mentioned or changes hands on MyFreecycle. The only exception to this might be if you agree between yourself and the person providing the item to allow a small amount of cash to cover delivery. NEVER agree to pay transportation charges in advance as this is usually a scam. If you are unsure, please contact the Moderators for advice.
NO BORROWING OR HIRING. Borrowing or hiring comes with strings attached as you are required to return the item once you have used it. Freecycle works by offering items to others and asking nothing in return. You are welcome to place a Wanted ad for an item you would like, just don’t offer to borrow and return it once you are done. By passing an item on to someone else once we have finished with it we are helping to keep stuff out of landfill.
PERSONAL DETAILS. For your own safety we do not allow contact details of any kind in your post. When someone replies to your post, the details that you give is between you and the responder.
UNLOCKED HARDWARE. Any item that has been chipped or “unlocked” is not permitted. This includes and not limited to iPhone's, Android phones, Windows Phones, Wii, Xbox etc.
UNLOCKING SOFTWARE. Software to help “unlock” any electrical items are not allowed. Torrent file software is also not permitted.
WEAPONS & KNIVES. Safety concerns as well as national laws mean that no weapons or knives can be offered. This includes chef and kitchen knives as well as historical ornamental items e.g. samurai swords or WW1 bayonets or sport items such as Bows and arrows.
WANTED POSTS. This group limits WANTED posts to 2 per 7-day period. Each WANTED item can be requested ONCE per 30 days with a maximum of 3 items per one WANTED post. If you make two Wanted posts within a 7-day period and decided to cancel them you cannot make the same post again until 30 days have expired, although you can make a different wanted post after 7 days. Thank you for your understanding on this very important matter. We would appreciate you keeping Wanted posts wording to a minimum regarding the item you request. Please do not provide a hardship story with your wanted request because we like all our members to have an equal chance of getting the item that they require. Obviously if one member were to say “I am a single mum, short of cash, etc.”, this may be more appealing to someone with an item to donate than perhaps a member who simply requested an item.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Freecycle UK is a Registered Charity (No. 1118148) and is a Company Limited by Guarantee (No. 05945013) Copyright © 2013 The Freecycle Network (http://www.Freecycle.org). All rights reserved. CTM Reg. No. 5722723
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.