Updated Group Guidelines, 26 August, 2018
Dear Freecycle® Member,
Thanks for being a part of the Freecycle Network®. Our mission is to build a worldwide sharing movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community.
The Burke Freecycle® Group Guidelines are getting a refresh to reflect growth of the Burke Freecycle® Group and of the Freecycle Network®. As a result, you may notice some changes, but your overall experience should continue to be a positive one. Preexisting posts at the time of these guideline changes will be “grandfathered in” and allowed to remain until expiration or removal by the user.
Please familiarize yourself with the updated guidelines. We recognize that there will be a period of transition for some types of posts and questionable posts may sometimes be flagged for moderation. When in doubt, the Moderator team will look to our Mission Statement to determine if a post meets those goals.
Please feel free to reach out to us with questions for any clarification!
FREECYCLE® GUIDELINES & ETIQUETTE
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES: This means, for example:
*No alcohol *No tobacco *No drugs/prescription medications *No firearms or other weapons *No pornography. *NEVER SEND MONEY FOR ANYTHING OFFERED ON FREECYCLE (R) - (THIS INCLUDES MONEY FOR SHIPPING/COURIERS).
2. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. Please report any violations of this rule to the moderators.
3. WANTED POSTS ARE TO BE USED SPARINGLY. Before posting a Wanted message, use the Search Posts button to look for Offers that match your particular need. We ask members to limit WANTEDs to one per 7 days, and limit asking for the same item to once per 30 days.
4. RESELLING: The Burke Freecycle® Group will allow reselling so long as full disclosure of intent to resell is provided up front. We recognize that some members might find this distasteful, however allowing a reseller to claim and rehome an item still achieves the Freecycle.org® goal of keeping items out of landfills. If you believe reselling is occurring without disclosure, please contact the Moderator Team. Clarified 26 August, 2018.
5. NO SWAPS/TRADING. At this time, the Burke Freecycle® Group DOES accept posts for coupons, however this stance is under review. Posts for tickets are not permissible. Clarified 26 August 2018.
6. NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose. Further, advertising is not allowed (no matter how good the cause) - which includes adding web addresses at the end of your posts.
7. CONSUMABLES (i.e. food) must be unopened with expiry clearly stated. In the spirit of keeping items out of the landfill, expired consumables will be permissible for offer or request as their utility is not always limited to labeled use or stated expiry. However, if you accept an expired offer, please use common sense. Change effective 26 August, 2018
8. NO POSTS ABOUT ANIMALS. While some Freecycle.org® groups allow pet postings, the Burke Freecycle Group does not. Change effective 26 August, 2018. Posts for pet and animal supplies are still permitted.
9. NO PERSONAL INFORMATION IN POSTS. Please do not include details about your particular circumstances in your post. Limit your descriptions to what you are offering or requesting. This includes addresses and contact information but also please refrain from sob stories. Keep it direct, objective, simple and polite.
10. NO CURB-ALERT POSTS. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the curb, whoever gets here first gets it."
11. CRIBS AND CAR SEATS. When offering these items, please provide as much information as possible, including date of manufacture and brand/model number. The Burke Freecycle® group will not allow Offer posts for cribs and car seats that may be expired or recalled. Clarified 26 August, 2018.
12. REPOSTING/OLD POSTS. We are fortunate to have an active group, so posts don’t stay on the front page for long but do stick around for about 3 months. Remember to search open posts before requesting a “Wanted” and please remember to mark your “Offer” items as “Taken” or close the post as necessary. If your item is still available after a month, you may repost your Offer.
13. SPEAK UP. Always feel free to contact your Moderator Team with questions, concerns or suggestions for improvement.
A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE. Politeness counts! The more polite you are when requesting an item, the more likely you are to be chosen as recipient. When you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle® member, be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Recognize that many of our members receive their notifications as a digest email later in the day, so when you offer an item, it's a good idea to wait until you get a handful of responses -- then you can choose whomever you like! Also, be aware that your email might wind up in the intended recipient's spam folder. To avoid confusion, never give your address in your first email to the recipient; wait until after you agree on a pick-up time.
WE HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR NO SHOWS. If someone does not show up to pick up an item, please contact your moderators.
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having a stranger come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle® as an organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.
DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE.ORG NETWORK® MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners, moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org® responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle.org-related exchange or communication.
Have fun keeping good stuff out of landfills!
Your BurkeVA Moderators
Copyright ©2018 The Freecycle Network (http://www.freecycle.org). All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in various countries.
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.