How to use Freecycle (and Guidelines and Disclaimer) August 2018
The following are the group guidelines/rules:
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: - No alcohol, tobacco, firearms or other weapons, profanity or sexual content, medications (of any kind, including over-the-counter supplements, vitamins, etc.); - Never send money for anything offered on Freecycle (this includes money for shipping/couriers); - All copyrighted material must be the original media; - In local groups that allow resale, full disclosure of intent to resell must be disclosed up front; - No unregistered waste carriers [UK only].
2. WANTED POSTS ARE TO BE USED SPARINGLY. Numerical limits on Wanted posts vary by local group.
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS OR PROSELYTIZING.
4. NO SWAPS/TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local swap/trading organization for this. It can be quite fun.
5. NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
6. NO POSTS ABOUT ANIMALS FOR BREEDING OR FOOD PURPOSES. Beyond this, some groups do allow non-breeding-related posts to find new homes for pets, but ask that it be kept legal and lovingly careful. Other groups prefer not to allow pet postings.
7. BE NICE. A brief note on Freecycle etiquette: we are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
DISCLAIMER. FREECYCLE(R) NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners, moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as an organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. If you, for example, are living alone, you may want to say that you'll leave the item on the front porch while you are not home or arrange for a drop-off at a public place.
HOW TO ORGANIZE / MINIMIZE FREECYCLE.ORG EMAILS YOU ARE RECEIVING:
a) SET YOUR MY.FREECYCLE.ORG ACCOUNT TO 'None apart from Admins' , 'A digest of 25 posts, or 'One for each post'. If you choose 'One for each post,' be aware that you will dramatically increase the number of emails you receive to your mailbox, but many people do prefer this, especially if they have set up a filtering rule, as above.. EMAIL DIGEST means you receive one email per 25 messages posted to the group, with at least one email per day. NONE APART FROM ADMINs only means you only receive important messages from the Moderators and you may simply read general posts online.
To do either of these:
1. Go to My Freecycle: http://my.freecycle.org/ 2. click the green 'My Groups' tab, 3. then under our group name click 'Change settings'. 4. Beside 'Email Preference', choose your desired setting. 5. Then click on 'Change Email Preferences' button.
b) CREATE A SEPARATE E-MAIL FOLDER & AUTOMATICALLY HAVE FREECYCLE.ORG STUFF GO TO IT. Create a separate folder in your e-mail program or web mail & have Freecycle.org mail sent to it automatically with a new rule under tools/message rules/mail/ (Outlook Express). Most "free" web-based mail services such as Yahoo or Gmail also provide filter tools for users.
IMPORTANT: CHANGES TO YOUR ACCOUNT ARE NOT IMMEDIATE. Whenever a user changes settings, there may be a delay in the time it takes to process the change until the change takes effect. It may take a day or more for changes to be seen. So, please don't email the moderators with comments such as, 'I changed my settings/unsubscribed yesterday, why am I still getting emails?' Please be patient, and all should be accomplished. Don't try to make a change a second time as this may result in another day of waiting.
For your information, you CAN delete your own messages from the message list for any reason (for example, if someone has taken the item you offered, or if you've received the item you wanted, or if you posted something by mistake).
To do this: 1. Click the 'My Posts' tab, 2. Click the 'Manage' button beside the item 3. click the appropriate button to Cancel or mark Taken or Received.
Once your Offer has been Taken or your Wanted has been received, do not post a new message to the group. Click on the My Posts link under the My Freecycle.org link on the top right and next to the post that is no longer available, select the 'Mark as Taken' or 'Mark as Received' option. You can also remove the post completely from My Freecycle.org by selecting the 'Remove post from My Freecycle.org' option.
If you encounter further problems, please contact the moderators of the group on our group homepage up top.
For technical assistance please send an email to: MyFreecycleAdmin@Freecycle.org
That should just about do it. Have fun and thank you for being a part of The Freecycle Network!
Your local Freecycle.org Moderators
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.