Dear East Hartford Freecycle(TM) Member,
Thanks for being a part of The Freecycle Network(TM). We're changing the world one gift at a time!
If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Freecycle group, please read on!
This Freecycle group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill. By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!
East Hartford Freecycle is part of the incredibly fast-growing international Freecycle movement, which began in Tucson, AZ on May 1st, 2003 and now boasts thousands of groups all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea. So, why not "pay it forward" and tell 3 (or more) people how wonderful Freecycle is! You tell your friends, you family, your neighbors, your co-workers...and they tell theirs, and so on, and so on...well, you get the idea!
*All NEW members are moderated to prevent spam and/or harassing posts. Members will stay moderated until it is clear that the rules/regs/policies are understood and will be respected. Thank you in advance for your understanding on this matter.
*E-mail Settings - We request that you have your delivery options set to 'One for each post', 'Email Digest' or 'None Apart from Admin'. With 'One for each post' mail you will receive each post in a separate email message. With 'Email Digest' you will receive a group of messages once or twice a day. Using 'None Except fo Admin' will mean you need to read all the messages on the groups website and you will only receive important information from your Moderators in your in box.
*You can change these settings by going to 'My Freecycle' > 'My Groups' > Change settings in the top right corner.
*At a minimum, please set your email preferences to 'None Apart from Admin' so you will get all the important things that your groups moderators have to pass on. Group moderators reserve the right to make changes if you are not in compliance with this very basic email rule.
USING THE FREECYCLE LIST
To post, read or reply to messages or to manage your membership settings (including email delivery options), visit the group site (AKA main page): http://groups.freecycle.org/EastHartfordCT/posts/all
For more information on Freecycle in general and a list of other approved Freecycle groups, visit http://freecycle.org/ (Highly recommended!)
The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette sheet. A certain structure helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good Luck, Have Fun & Keep on Keeping Good Stuff out of the Landfills!
FREECYCLE RULES & ETIQUETTE
1) KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example,
*NO Alcohol *NO Tobacco *NO Firearms *NO Pornography *NO Drugs of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc. *NO Advertising *NO money EVER! *NO trading/bartering EVER! *NO personal attacks or rudeness *NO food items that are in opened packaging (e.g., cans, boxes, bags, etc.). This includes products intended for human as well as animal consumption.
Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that.
2) SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view:
OFFER [or WANTED or TAKEN or RECEIVED]: [item] in [location]
Each posting can have only one subject header (e.g., do not combine an OFFER with WANTED, etc.)
The [item] must be tangible. You may post OFFER's for coupons, certificates, tickets, points, etc., if they are tangible items. Do NOT post for anything you can't hold in your hand and because you can't throw out intangible items to the landfill. And no WANTED's for these items.
The [location] should be the name of the town where the [item] is located (OFFER) or destined to be located (WANTED).
Moderators do edit and do delete. Examples of the subject headers to use are:
OFFER: Purple doo-hickey in Oshkosh WANTED: Purple doo-hickey in Oshkosh RECEIVED: Purple doo-hickey in Oshkosh TAKEN: Purple doo-hickey in Oshkosh
If you have a great idea and wish to share it, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, not to the full list
3) PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME "WANTED" ITEM MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH.
4) NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO ADVERTISING, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
5) YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: List this in the body of your e-mail. (e.g., "I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Speedway and Stone."
*DO NOT post your phone number or address directly to the group! This includes "sighted on side of road ... " type postings.
6) KEEP IT ALL IN ONE E-MAIL. Got more than one thing to give away? Keep it all in one e-mail please and just number the items for your own clarity. This reduces the overall number of e-mails we all have to receive.
7) CAN WE USE FREECYCLE TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Yes, keep it legal & be lovingly careful. Please visit http://www.petfinder.com/ to look up many other pet-related resources.
8) NO TRADING OR BARTERING OR OFFERS TO SELL OR BUY, PLEASE
9) RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of e-mails.
10) PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving a local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become the boo man pretty fast with your fellow Freecycle group members... Also: only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone no. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
11) DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold the list owners, moderators, nor anyone affiliated with The Freecycle Network responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
12) SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a listserv assumes no responsibility for this risk. If you, for example, are a single woman living alone, you may want to say that you'll leave the item on the front porch while you are not home.
13) NO POSTING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Offering oneself (or one's shy friends) is, I'm afraid, not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose, or you could try Craig's List or a Burning Man mixer (just kidding). Offering your kids is not on the menu either, no matter how crazy they make you sometimes. Try getting them involved in after-school band practice.
14) A BRIEF NOTE ON ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-Day Rule.)
TIPS TO ORGANIZE ALL OF THE NEW E-MAILS YOU ARE GETTING:
a) CREATE A SEPARATE E-MAIL FOLDER & AUTOMATICALLY HAVE FREECYCLE MAIL GO TO IT. Create a separate folder in your mailbox & have Freecycle stuff sent to it automatically with a new rule under tools/message rules/mail/
b) SET TO "E-MAIL" OR "NONE APART FROM ADMIN" (which means you'll just browse the messages online). Realize that you can set your personal preferences on the main page.
Just so you know, you CAN delete your own posts for any reason (for example, if someone's taken the item you offered, or if you've received the item you wanted, or if you posted something by mistake). Go to the main page, and click on the green tab that says “My Posts” > From there, locate the post you can to delete and click the 'Manage' button > From there you can click 'Marked as Received and remove' or simple 'Cancel and remove.'
That should just about do it. Have fun and Keep on Keeping Stuff Out of the Landfills!
Your friendly neighborhood Freecycle moderators
----- Copyright © 2003-2010 The Freecycle Network | http://www.Freecycle.org | All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *adapted from a piece by Alyson Mercer
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.