WARNING of recent Freecycle scam attempts
This is an automatic email containing a file from the Group
Hello all Freecycle.org(R) members There are two scams doing the rounds across all Freecycle groups. Please be vigilant of anybody requesting money from you for delivery or anything else.
SCAM ONE: OFFER posts - The scammers place posts purporting to OFFER something tempting - something almost too good to be true. They then request delivery money or ask you to cover some other cost. Of course once you have paid this money you won't get the item you were hoping to receive. The scammers used to offer some adorable but expensive pet for rehoming (e.g. macaws, monkeys and pedigree puppies and kittens) but more often NOW they are now making posts for electronics and even everyday household items. So far very few of these posts have made it onto Galway Freecycle's message board, but you still need to be vigilant and you may come across them on some of the other national groups. If anyone offers you an item and requests payment or vouchers for postage etc, please report it to the group moderators. Do not send payment for any reason. You will most likely never see the item or your money.
SCAM TWO - Your Own WANTED Posts: The second scam targets members who make a wanted post themselves and perhaps signal some sort of vulnerability (disabled, elderly, desperate, etc). You will receive a very generous offer of the (often expensive) item you are wanting (e.g. TV, Fridge Freezer) - one that is almost new. Should you respond you will exchange several emails and then be asked to pay money via UKASH, Western Union, Moneygram and even Paypal as the 'gifter' (con artist) is unable to deliver (perhaps because they are housebound, have no car, live too far away, etc). Once you have sent the money, you will probably hear nothing! Also, it has happened that a cheat sets up a new account just to answer a Wanted post and then demands payment at the point of collection (and provides a dud item)
1) Never ever send payment for anything to anybody for any Freecycle related exchange.
2) Do not include personal information in your wanted posts.
3) Report scam offer posts by using the 'report as inappropriate button' located under the post details.
4) Report members requesting payment to the appropriate moderation team.
5) if asked for money upon collection it is deception, you have not misunderstood, please feel free to decline and go.
6) Don't let these scams ruin your Freecycle experience - just be aware. And thanks to all of you who have reported potential scams - it helps us a lot!
Your Freecycle.org Moderator
(PS: Thanks to the Dublin for the text of this email)
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.