Wanted: New Moderator for this group.
This is an ADMIN email being sent to all users of the Harlow Freecycle Group.
Back in June 2005 I set this group up and since then I’ve happily moderated the group as its grown to almost 5000 members, moved to the New MyFreecycle platform and is slowly getting back to that huge number of people helping save items from landfill. However 2017 has interesting plans for me and I’m going to be outside the UK for a chunk of the year. As part of the travelling I may well be in areas where there is no wifi or phone coverage, so I’ve decided that it’s time to pass on the moderator role to someone else.
First the role is not intensive, I spend around 10 to 20 minutes a day on the role, usually in 5 minutes bursts, morning, lunch and evening. The admin side of the MyFreecycle website is pretty good and you can do many of the admin task things on a phone screen, although sometimes a full size keyboard is better.
While most of the time is spent checking and approving new member posts, editing where required and after a member has posted a few times successfully changing them to get unmoderated status. Occasionally there are queries to answer, and if problems arise, dealing with them, however you are not on your own, if you need help there is other moderators and area assistance people who can help.
There are some requirements. You need to live in the groups catchment area, so when the “odd” posts come in from scammer/spammers you have an idea of Harlow’s area, it really does helps spot those posts that just don’t seem right. You don’t need to know every road, Google can do that, but anyone who has lived in Harlow a while will know how Harlow names its streets and the layout of the area This really means any moderator needs to live in Harlow or very close by. There are Freecycle groups in Bishops Stortford, Hertford, Chelmsford and Waltham Abbey so if you live there you really should not be the Harlow Moderator. Epping used to have a Freecycle group, but changed to Freegle so a moderator could live there but in Harlow would be better.
You need to be able to spend some time each day on the site, not every day will have posts but it’s possible.
You do NOT have to do this role alone, It’s also possible to have two or three of people each who cover set times of the day or have days they cover. I chose to do this by myself although I’ve had a backup for my holidays, but a new moderator may choose differently.
My Plans do not see me leaving the UK for a few months, more than ample time to help someone get setup and understand how the site works, I’m happy to answer questions from whoever takes the role on.
I’ve pasted the Freecycle Application form, if you are interested in the role..
Gavin Harlow Freecycle Moderator
----New Moderator Application Form------
Harlow Freecycle needs volunteers to be group moderators. Moderators must live here and training is provided.
If you're interested in making a contribution to your community and your planet; in learning a little about online community building and media relations; and in keeping stuff out of the local landfill, please keep reading!
Being a moderator doesn't require a lot of time but does require some dedication. There is lots of support available, it's fun and is a small thing that can make such a big difference.
Simply answer these questions and send to us. You'll hear back within a week. All information is strictly confidential and will not be shared or otherwise distributed outside of FreecycleÂ® management. We ask for some personal information for safety and liability reasons and to be able to contact you in an emergency.
Thanks for your consideration.
Harlow Freecycle Moderators Team.
Please tell us:
1. Your full name, address (including postcode) and a phone number.
2. The e-mail address and ID you use on Freecycle.
My Freecycle.org email:
My Freecycle.org ID:
3. Do you have a Yahoo account? If so, what is your Yahoo email and username? (we ask for this because we have moderator support groups on Yahoo that you will need to join later on.)
4. Do you have time to moderate the group? It takes at least 10-15 mins three to four times a day to review messages, etc.
5. Do you have access to a computer, even on weekends and holidays? If not, what days and/or hours would you be available?
6. Are you a co-owner, moderator or member of any other Freecycle groups? Please tell us which groups and your level of involvement.
7. Are you a co-owner or moderator in any non-Freecycle groups? We would like to know if you have experience as a moderator.
8. Any relevant experience that would be helpful for us to know.
Please get back to us as soon as possible if this sounds like something you'd like to do. If you know someone else who would make a good moderator, please pass this message on to that person. If you have any questions, please let us know - we're happy to help!
Reply by copying and pasting the application form onto the page at:
PLEASE PUT "Harlow Freecycle Mod" IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Copyright © 2003 The Freecycle Network (http://www.Freecycle.org). All rights reserved. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Freecycle is a registered trademark of The Freecycle Network, CTM Reg. No. 5722723. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.