Rules and Etiquette for Harrow Freecycle : September 2016
Dear Freecycle(R) Member,
Thanks for joining The Freecycle Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time!
This message contains answers to MANY common new-user questions, so please take time to read it before jumping in.
If you notice that anyone has broken any of these rules, please send a message to the Moderators of this group, so that they can take the appropriate action.
This Freecycle.org group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill.
By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle.org is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!
Our local group Freecycle group is part of the incredibly fast-growing international Freecycle movement, which began in Tucson, AZ on May 1st, 2003 and now boasts thousands of groups all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea.
Freecycle is not a charity. Many members misunderstand our purpose. It is a recycling organization dedicated to keeping stuff out of the landfill by rehoming it. Members may give their items to anyone they please (not necessarily to the person who replies first), it is not based on who needs it most. That is why sob stories or emotive pleas for help will not generally be accepted by the Moderators.
FREECYCLE GROUP RULES
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: - No alcohol, tobacco, firearms or other weapons, profanity or sexual content, medications (of any kind, including over-the-counter supplements, vitamins, etc.) This is our main Freecycle rule to live by;
- Never send money for anything offered on Freecycle (this includes money for shipping/couriers); - All copyrighted material (eg books, DVDs, CDs, software) must be the original media; - Full disclosure of intent to resell must be disclosed up front; - No unregistered waste carriers [UK only].
2. NO ADVERTISING, TRADING OR OFFERING ITEMS FOR SALE PLEASE. No advertising of your business or offering to swap services or other items for items you're seeking or offering. Please remove advertising footers from your emails when posting to Freecycle - this includes your signature lines with your business title and/or website. There are numerous sites to trade, barter and/or sell your items. Freecycle is NOT one of those.
3. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY PERSONAL DETAILS (email addresses / telephone numbers) IN YOUR POSTS This is to ensure your privacy.
4. PLEASE KEEP YOUR WANTED POST SIMPLE There is no need to justify why you want something - if you must, please do not include a reason beyond a practical one, why you want something. Posts containing such material may be edited or not approved.
5. PLEASE DO NOT RE-POST THE SAME "WANTED" POST MORE THAN ONCE EVERY 10 DAYS. Otherwise your post will be removed or rejected.
6. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE URL LINKS (for images or websites) IN YOUR POSTS URL links for other websites (see rule #2) are not allowed; the option to post photos is available to the group.
7. PLEASE ALLOW 24 HOURS BEFORE RE-POSTING AN OFFER post to another Freecycle group.
8. RESPOND ONLY TO PERSON WHO POSTED. It keeps down the sheer number of e-mails.
9. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about respecting your community.
10. DON'T USE FREECYCLE TO ASK FOR PEN PALS, EXERCISE BUDDIES, OR A DATE, OR OFFER OR YOUR CHILDREN. Recycling oneself (or one's shy friends) is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose. No offering your spouse or children either.
11. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? No Offers or Requests for pets will be allowed. There are plenty of pet rescue organizations ie R.S.P.C.A, Dogs Trust.
If you do see any posts in our group that appear to infringe any of the above rules, please email the Moderators to let them know. Thanks!
Copyright © 2003 The Freecycle Network (http://www.Freecycle.org). All rights reserved. Freecycle is a registered trademark of The Freecycle Network, CTM Reg. No. 5722723
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.