Inverness and the Highland Region
Etiquette & Rules
Dear Inverness_Freecycle.org(TM) Member,
Thanks for being a part of the (ever-expanding) Freecycle.org Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time! This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining, and once in a while thereafter to the entire list.
If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Freecycle.org group, please read on!
This Freecycle.org group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill.
By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle.org is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!
Inverness_Freecycle is part of the incredibly fast- growing international Freecycle.org movement, which began in Tucson, AZ on May 1st, 2003 and now boasts thousands of groups all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea.
So, why not "pay it forward" and tell 3 (or more) people how wonderful Freecycle.org is! You tell your friends, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers... and they tell theirs, and so on, and so on... well, you get the idea!
The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle.org etiquette sheet. A certain structure helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, be nice and patient. Good luck, have fun & thankyou for keeping good stuff out of the landfills!
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example, no pornography, no alcohol, no tobacco, no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), no firearms or other weapons.
2. SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view. * OFFER: item (Your General Location) * TAKEN: item (Used in conjunction with Offer) * WANTED: item (Your General Location) **** Please use this post sparingly and don't offer money.**** * RECEIVED: item (Used in response to Wanted) * ADMIN: (Used by Moderators)
3. WANTED POSTS ARE TO BE USED SPARINGLY. Numerical limits on Wanted posts vary by local group.
4. RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
5. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION.
6. NO SWAPS/TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local swap/trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle.org, though, there are no strings attached.
7. NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
8. NO POSTS ABOUT ANIMALS FOR BREEDING OR FOOD PURPOSES. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE.ORG GROUPS TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? - Yes but, keep it legal & be lovingly careful.
9. BE NICE. A brief note on Freecycle.org etiquette: we are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle.org member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
10. DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE.ORG NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners nor moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle.org -related exchange or communication.
***** Please also see the file 'LOCAL RULES & POLICIES' *****
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle.org when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle.org as an organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.
PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle.org group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
If you encounter further problems, please contact the moderators of the group at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical assistance please send an email to: myFreecycleadmin@Freecycle.org
That should just about do it. Have Fun and Thank you for being a part of The Freecycle.org Network(TM)!
Your Inverness_Freecycle.org Moderators
________________________________________________ Copyright (c) 2003 The Freecycle.org.org Network (TM) (http://www.Freecycle.org.org). All rights reserved.
The Freecycle.org.org logo is a trademark of The Freecycle.org.org Network (TM) in the United States and/or other countries. ________________________________________________
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.