Islington Nrth-Highgate,Archway,Tufnell Park etc.
Islington North Freecycle Rules & Etiquette
The following list of rules and etiquette has been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette sheet.
A certain structure helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and be nice and patient with each other.
Good luck, have fun & thank you for keeping stuff out of the landfills!
1) KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example:
* no pornography, * no alcohol, * no tobacco, * no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), * no firearms or any other type of items that could be used as weapons.
HOW TO POST AN OFFER: OR A WANTED: Post/Message (This is the better way to post messages than using emails).
Log-in to my.freecycle.org, you will see three tabs in the centre of the page.
From the "My Post" tab, click on "Make a new post" and use the drop down menu to choose either OFFER or WANTED.
If you choose "Offer" the page will reload and you will be able to upload a photo to go with your offer message if you wish to.
Then fill in the lines in the message maker. Click on "Make this Post" and your message will be posted.
Once the items have been taken or received please close the message by logging into My Freecycle and click on My Post. Next to each message will be "Mark as TAKEN" for Offer messages or "Mark as RECEIVED" for wanted messages.
A pre-worded message will load, you can either send this pre-worded message or delete it and use one of you own, then click on "Send TAKEN message" for offer messages or "Send RECEIVED for wanted message". Your open message will then be closed and a TAKEN/RECEIVED email will be sent to members who receive message via email.
2) NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
3) NO TRADING/SWAPPING/BORROWING. Go to your local trading organisation for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached, just give it away.
4) RESPONSES GO ONLY TO THE OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
5) NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
6) A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here. When you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual.
7) SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a organisation assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.
My Freecycle messages do not have your email address on show in the messages on the message boards or in the "From" on emails that are sent out from the group as messages for member who receive messages via email.
The way the system works is that only members can reply to your messages with their membership email address. No one can join the group just to get your email address as they will not be able to get your email address from messages that you have sent out from the group.
8). SELECTION & PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
9). Please do NOT put your phone number, email or full address in any OFFER and WANTED posts - these messages go out to tens of thousands of members! Basically do not include any private info in your messages. This way no-one can use it for non Freecycle stuff.
If you still have any questions after reading this ADMIN, please check the frequently asked questions at: https://wiki.freecycle.org/MemberFAQ:/: Chances are you will find your answer there.
Have fun and thank you for being a part of The Freecycle Network(TM)!
Your Islington North Freecycle Moderators
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.