Manchester Group Guidelines - February 2020
The following are the group guidelines/rules:
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: - No alcohol, tobacco, firearms or other weapons, profanity or sexual content, medications (of any kind, including over-the-counter supplements, vitamins, etc.); - Never send money for anything offered on Freecycle (this includes money for shipping/couriers); - All copyrighted material must be the original media; - In local groups that allow resale, full disclosure of intent to resell must be disclosed up front; - No unregistered waste carriers [UK only].
2. WANTED POSTS. Manchester Moderators have agreed that a member cannot have more than one "ACTIVE" wanted listing at any one time. Secondary listings will be rejected or removed.
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS OR PROSELYTIZING.
4. NO SWAPS/TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local swap/trading organization for this. It can be quite fun.
5. NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
6. NO ANIMALS. To keep things simple Manchester Moderators have agreed that Pets / Animal / Livestock postings are not allowed. This is to ensure there are no ambiguity for what can or cannot be posted. If it lives and breaths (air or water) then it is not to be listed. Any listings for animals will be removed.
7. CROSS POSTING. Cross posting is where a user places the same or similar posts on more than one area e.g. Manchester & Salford. For Wanted Ads this is not permitted in Manchester and we will consider an active post in another group as your active Wanted post for Manchester. For Offers, then please wait for 72 hours before placing into another group.
8. RESELLER GUIDELINES. Occasionally list members will reply to offers or post wanteds for items they do not intend to use personally. Whether they resell or redistribute the item, for their own profit or not, these members are termed resellers for purposes of this list. While claiming or asking for items in order to resell or redistribute them does not violate Freecycle(R) guidelines, some members prefer to give their items directly to the people who will use them. For this reason, members are entitled to ask responders if they intend to resell the item in question before agreeing to the transaction. Resellers MUST disclose their intention to resell/redistribute any item. In addition, resellers are also required to state their intention to resell/redistribute when making wanted posts.
9. BE NICE. A brief note on Freecycle etiquette: we are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
10. PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "It's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
11. EXTERNAL LINKS Please be aware that for safety reasons, we will reject any posts that contain web URL's to external sites. We have no way to monitor these links and so we have taken the decision to remove them. Please ensure any links are removed before placing your posts.
12. Direct Contact details Please be aware, that we will not allow any direct contact methods within a post / description / username. Any posts with telephone numbers, whatsapp, social media links, or any other method of external communications will be rejected.
13. ANTI SCAM Freecycle members are reminded that they should be on guard for spammers and scammers using the site. There should be no request for money to send an item to you (known as the "courier scam"), if anyone asks money to be paid directly then we recommend you STOP all communication and report them to the spam control team (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further investigation.
List moderators reserve the right to immediately ban members for failure to disclose this information when asked or when posting a wanted. DISCLAIMER. FREECYCLE(R) NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners, moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as an organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. If you, for example, are living alone, you may want to say that you'll leave the item on the front porch while you are not home or arrange for a drop-off at a public place.
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.