McFreecycle Rules and Instructions - PLEASE READ BEFORE USING MCFREECYCLE
Dear Freecycle Member,
Thanks for being a part of The Freecycle Network. This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining, and monthly to the entire list.
Please take the time to read our group rules below even if you are not new to the group, as some rules have been updated.
This Freecycle group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our sole purpose is to keep usable items out of the landfill.
1. *KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES* This means, for example:
* no pornography * no alcohol * no tobacco * no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.) * no firearms or other weapons
Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that.
2. *SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS.* Use the correct drop down option to make it easy for others to quickly understand the nature of your posting.
*OFFER (which can be closed by changing it to TAKEN) *WANTED (which can be closed by changing it to RECEIVED) SHORT DESCRIPTION: briefly list the item or items you are offering; please do not write "Miscellaneous Items" or other vague wording APPROXIMATE LOCATION: general area, for example, "West Bloomington". Do not give your actual address or any other personal information.
[Please use the WANTED post sparingly and don't offer money. And above all else, don't ask for an extravagant item like a diamond ring which we'd all like to have or the strike rule will kick in - see no. 1 above]
Please keep each item WANTED or OFFERed separate. For example, if you offer or request things one at a time then when the item is taken or received you can go back and mark that ONE item taken or received and so it is clear to everyone that the ONE item is gone. (However, if you offer a bunch of items but only one is taken, the system only allows you to mark the whole offer as taken, not individual items. This also goes for requests.)
3. *NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION* Please respect all others. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
4. *NO TRADING PLEASE* Go to your local trading organization for this. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached, just give it away now.
5. *RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER* It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
6. *NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN* Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine dating sites better suited to this purpose.
*A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE:* "Be nice." We've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.)
*SAFETY.* Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.
7. REPEAT MESSAGES - PLEASE DO NOT POST THE *SAME* "WANTED" or "OFFER" POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. ALLOW 30 DAYS BEFORE REPEATING A POSTING IF UNSUCCESSFUL THE FIRST TIME.
8. YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. OFFER Couch (downtown). "I've got a couch and live downtown."
9. MCFREEYCLE MAY NOT BE USED TO FIND OR GIVEAWAY PETS OR ANY LIVE ANIMALS. McLean County has a great network of nonprofit pet organizations such as the Humane Society of Central Illinois (http://www.hscipets.org/). See our files section for some licensed shelters to give or get a pet.
10. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR ADDRESS, EMAIL, OR PHONE NUMBER IN YOUR POSTING. For your own safety, only provide your information to the individual you have chosen to give your item to.
11. PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it."
12. ANY ITEMS BEING REQUESTED FOR RESALE MUST INDICATE SO IN THE REQUEST. Similarly, if you respond to any offers of items with the intent to resell the item, you must indicate this clearly in your response to the offer. For example, if you request scrap metal or appliances to sell for cash at Morris Tick, or if are requesting items or responding to an offer for items that you will sell at a garage sale or on Ebay, please state your intentions in your message.
13. NO POSTINGS OFFERING "GARAGE SALE LEFTOVERS" OR "LEFT AT CURBSIDE" OR "COME AND GET IT" TYPE OFFERS. While we all wish to find new homes for items as quickly as possible, any sort of first come, first serve posting indicating items available for taking at a specific address will result in more than one person responding for the item, but only the first person getting the item or items. This results in wasted time and energy; remember that Freecycle is about reducing waste. So instead, please take the few minutes to list your items and gift them to ONE person at a time so that the person driving to your house knows that they are not making a trip for nothing. If you are unable to find people interested in the items you are offering the EAC website has addresses to local resale stores.
14. NO GARAGE SALE (INCLUDING FREE GARAGE SALES) OR EVENT ADVERTISEMENTS OTHER THAN OFFICIAL FREE-4-ALL EVENTS COORDINATED BY MCFREECYCLE. Yahoo Groups has several garage sale type groups including CIBST- Central Illinois Buy Sell Trade.
15. NO POSTINGS ASKING FOR REFERRALS OR OTHER INFORMATION. McFreecycle is not an advice column; its sole purpose is to provide an avenue to gift other people with USEABLE, UNWANTED ITEMS that would otherwise find their way into a landfill and pollute the environment.
16. KEEP YOUR WANTED POSTINGS REASONABLE; this is not a shopping mall, but rather a place to find new homes for things ordinarily thrown away.
17. LIMIT YOUR WANTED POSTINGS AND BALANCE THEM WITH OFFER POSTINGS. Users should not exceed 2 WANTED postings for every 5 OFFER postings.
18. KEEP YOUR OFFER POSTINGS REASONABLE; offer only items that are in good, usable condition, not damaged, broken unusable items. Do NOT require that a recipient takes unwanted items along with wanted items. Remember, there may be no strings attached to your OFFER; no "take it all and freecycle what you don't need" postings are allowed.
19. McFREECYCLE MEMBERSHIP IS LIMITED TO RESIDENTS OF MCLEAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS. Our surrounding counties all have their own Freecycle groups; please only join your local group in order to help reduce wasted time, gasoline, and pollution associated with unnecessary travel. Please use only one Freecycle group; do not abuse the system by joining and requesting items from multiple groups.
20. NO FOOD. This includes anything meant to be consumed or ingested.
21. NO OFFER or WANTED POSTINGS FOR COUPONS OR BOX TOPS. Again, the sole purpose of this group is to reduce waste going into the landfill; passing a coupon to others does not reduce waste landfilled. At best that coupon is recycled but even if redeemed it may likely be not recycled but rather still thrown in the trash.
22. PLEASE BE PATIENT. It may take up to 24 hours for posts to be moderated before they are approved; please plan accordingly. All postings to McFreecycle are subject to moderation; your submitted posts may be rejected or edited for content or per the above rules.
DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners and moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication. If you do not feel comfortable meeting a person at your home for a pick up consider meeting at a local public area. If you have comments concerning McFreecycle send them to McFreecycle@mods.freecycle.org.
Thank you for your cooperation,
Michael Brown Kris Hall
---------------- Copyright 2003-2011 The Freecycle (TM) Network (http://www. Freecycle.org). All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries.
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.