GLAM Freecycle WA - Guidelines for Participation
GLAM Freecycle WA
Guidelines for Participation
GLAM Freecycle WA has been created for Western Australian cultural and creative organisations and individuals to use to exchange unwanted items such as display cases, exhibition furniture and office equipment for free in order to reduce the environmental footprint of the industry.
Who is coordinating this, and why? The group is moderated by the WA Branch of the Australian Museum and Galleries Association (AMAGA), and is inspired by the successful Museum Freecycle UK group (which has over 400 members). GLAM Freecycle WA is hosted by Freecycle and builds on its tried and tested infrastructure and protocols.
At AMAGA we are often contacted by people looking to move on old display cases, or desks, or display boards. We are REGULARLY contacted by people looking for these items but with few resources to purchase them. GLAM Freecycle WA is hopefully the answer to both these problems and the success of it will depend on how much we all use this network to give and get items.
I’m not sure if I’m eligible to join…. You are eligible to seek and share if you work or volunteer in a: • Gallery • Library • Museum • Archive • Historical Society • Community Arts Group, or similar
When you request to join you will be asked to enter what the name is of your organisation. This will be moderated to make sure the group stays relevant and purposeful.
What can I post or seek on here? Everything AMAGA does supports the Standards for Australian Museums and Galleries and as such does not support the exchange or sale of collection items through this forum. Please see the list below for guidelines on suitable items: • Display cases and boards • Exhibition prop material • Office furniture (i.e. desks, pedestals…) • Shelves and racking • Trolleys • Mannequins • Light fittings • Acrylic display stands
This list is not exhaustive so if you’re unsure, please contact our office on 08 9431 8431. General Freecycle Guidelines for posting are explained on the next page.
General Freecycle Guidelines
• KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example, no pornography, no alcohol, no tobacco, no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), no firearms or other weapons, no unregistered waste carriers.
• SUBJECT LINE OF POSTS: OFFER: display case (Manchester) TAKEN: display case [Used in conjunction with an Offer] WANTED: mannequin (Southampton) [Please use this post sparingly and don't offer money.] RECEIVED: mannequin [Used in conjunction with a Wanted] ADMIN: [Used by group moderators - local policy issues, etc.]
• WANTED POSTS ARE TO BE USED SPARINGLY.
• RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
• NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. Moderators may remove you if you are perceived to be acting as such.
• NO SWAPS/TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local swap/trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached.
• NO PERSONAL ADS. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
• NO POSTS ABOUT ANIMALS FOR BREEDING OR FOOD PURPOSES. Beyond this, some groups do allow non-breeding-related posts to find new homes for pets, but ask that it be kept legal and lovingly careful. Other groups prefer not to allow pet postings.
• BE NICE. A brief note on Freecycle etiquette: we are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item.
• PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Arrange pickup with one person only. Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
• SAFETY. Be alert but not alarmed. Our GLAM community is tight and generally safe but please read our Safety Guidelines for advice on acting safely.
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.