Etiquette and Rules
Dear Freecycle(R) Member,
Thanks for being a part of The (ever-expanding) Freecycle Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time! This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining, and periodically thereafter to the entire list.
If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Freecycle group, please read on!
This Freecycle group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill.
By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!
USING THE FREECYCLE LIST
For more information on Freecycle in general and a list of other approved Freecycle groups, visit http://www.freecycle.org/ (Highly recommended!)
The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette. A certain structure helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good luck, have fun & thank you for keeping good stuff out of the landfills!
The following are required rules:
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: o no pornography, o no alcohol, o no tobacco, o no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), o no firearms or other weapons.
Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that.
2. Please use WANTED posts sparingly and don't offer money. And above all else, don't ask for an extravagant item like a diamond ring which we'd all like to have or the strike rule will kick in - see no. 1 above.
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings. 4. NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached, just give it away now.
5. RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
6. NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
7. Animals and Livestock of any species are not permitted. Please do not submit any Offers or Wanted's for animals. If you need help rehoming an animal please contact one of the many animal charities in our area for help and advice
8. A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.) 9. SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup. Do not include personal information such as addresses or phone numbers when posting to the group as it can be seen by both members and non-members.
YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. OFFER Couch (downtown). "I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Speedway and Stone."
That should just about do it. Have fun and thank you for being a part of The Freecycle Network!
Your Freecycle Moderators
Copyright 2003 The Freecycle Network (http://www.Freecycle.org). All rights reserved.
Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are registered trademarks of The Freecycle Network, CTM Reg No 4287553
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.