How to Use the Website including How to Unsubscribe
Welcome to Winchester Freecycle.
Your personal area of the Freecycle website is called My Freecycle as you have total control over your account. The Moderators have no access to your personal account and cannot change your settings for you.
To Leave Winchester Freecycle
- Click on the My Groups tab (in the middle of the screen not on the banner)
- Click on the 'Change Settings' button.
- Click on the 'Leave this group' button and confirm
You can unsubscribe from a local group but remain a member of Freecycle and join other local groups.
If you want to delete your entire Freecycle account you should unsubscribe from all of your local groups before deleting your Freecycle membership. If you delete your Freecycle Account before you unsubscribe from all local groups you will still get emails from the local groups and but you will not be able to login to the deleted Freecycle account to leave the groups. To delete your Freecycle account see below.
You can unsubcribe from emails and remain a member of the local group, using the website to view posts. To unsubscribe from emails see below.
To post an Offer or Wanted:
- Login to my.freecycle.org, and click on the "My Posts" tab
- Click "Make a new post" and use the drop down menu to choose either Offer or Wanted
- Make sure the group you are wishing to post to is in the "Post to" field or select it from the drop down box
- Fill in a brief description
- Fill in your location (where you live)
- Add more details for the description in the box provided
- Click "Make the Post" button to post your message.
If your membership is moderated please note that before your post is displayed on the website and distributed in the group email it will be pending awaiting moderator approval, which can take up to 24 hours.
To Close Offer and Wanted posts:
- Offer and Wanted posts can be closed so that they are automatically removed from the board. This enables the site to display only those Offer and Wanted posts which are still current.
If you have an open Offer or Wanted on the board, and need to close it :
- Login to my.freecycle.org and click on "My Posts"
- This will display your open posts, with a button marked "manage", click this and you will see two options available for each post: 'Cancel and remove' and 'Mark as Taken/Received and remove'
- Choose 'Cancel and remove' when your original Offer or Wanted post does not require a further message to go out to the group eg you did not receive many replies to the original post
- Choose "Mark as TAKEN and Remove" for Offers or "Mark as RECEIVED and remove" for Wanteds if you need to inform the group eg you received too many replies to deal with individually. You will be brought to a new screen that has a default Taken or Received message. You can edit this message if you choose. If you do not, simply click "Send TAKEN message" or "Send RECEIVED message". Please do not make unnecessary TAKEN/RECEIVED posts, use the 'Cancel and remove' option wherever appropriate.
- Your Offer/Wanted post will then be removed from the board.
To post a photo with your Offer:
- Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Posts" tab
- Click "Make a new post" and use the drop down menu to choose Offer. The "add a picture" option is only visible when posting an OFFER post and is not shown when placing a WANTED post. It is also not shown if the group you belong to do not allow pictures to be posted.
- If the group you belong to allows pictures to be posted, the option will appear at the end of the form
- Click "Browse” to choose a photo on your computer
- Click "Make the Post" after adding the photo
To keep track of your Offers/Wanteds:
- Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Posts" tab
- Your open Offers/Wanteds will be displayed by date
To change your email preferences:
- Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Groups" tab (in the middle of the screen not on the banner). You will see your groups on the left and settings button on the right.
- Click the Change Settings button for the relevant group.
- On the Settings page click the drop down menu to see the available email delivery options. The options are: "None apart from admins”, ”One for each post” and “Email digest”. Admins are special notices from the moderators.
- Select your preferred option and click "Change Email Preference".
To change your password, email address, or to delete your Freecycle account (not used to unsubcribe from a local group):
- Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Info" tab - Click on the appropriate button and make the changes
- Click on the prompt to save your changes
- If you delete your Freecycle Account before you unsubscribe from all local groups you belong to, you will still get email from any local group and will need the help of the moderators to unsubscribe from the local group because you will no longer be able to LOGIN to the deleted account, and will not be able to recreate the account because the email and user ID will still be in use. The unsubscribe/leave group button is found under the My Groups tab clicking on the settings button. Repeat for all local groups and then delete the Freecycle Account membership.
To view your Group files:
- Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Groups" tab
- Click on your group name - When you are brought to your Group page, hover over the "Group Info" tab, and then drop down and click on "Files
- The group files will be displayed. Click on an individual file to download and review
To mark a post inappropriate:
- Just below the REPLY button on each post you will find a Report As Inappropriate button. Clicking on this allows you to submit a form to the Moderators explaining why the post is inappropriate. Although Winchester Freecycle is moderated this tool allows members to assist the moderators by reporting any unmoderated posts which are unsuitable. The moderators will then where necessary remove the post.
How to reach the moderators:
- If you have a question, problem or complaint you can contact the group Moderators by clicking on 'Contact Moderators', which is found in the centre of the screen of all orange tabs, or by using the 'Contact the ModTeam' button on the My Groups tab.
Copyright © 2003 The Freecycle Network. All rights reserved. Freecycle is a registered trademark of The Freecycle Network, CTM Reg. No. 5722723.
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.