YARRAWONGA FREECYCLE GUIDELINES
Welcome to the Yarrawonga Freecycle(R) Group! PLEASE READ & SAVE THESE RULES FOR FUTURE REFERENCE! By joining and participating on Yarrawonga Freecycle you agree that you have read, understand & will follow these RULES. Members receive this message upon joining and as a reminder periodically.
The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette guidelines. For a refresher, read on. A certain structure definitely makes the group run more smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good luck, have fun and dive on in!
FREECYCLE RULES & ETIQUETTE
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example: * No pornography, * No alcohol, * No tobacco, * No drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc), * No firearms or other weapons
Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by, and it's a pretty easy one at that.
2. SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view: * OFFER: Thingamajig (Your General Location) * TAKEN: Thingamajig * WANTED: Thingamajig, any condition. (Your General Location - please use this sparingly and don't offer money) * RECEIVED: Thingamajig * ADMIN: new ideas, thoughts, etc. (Used by Owners and Mods, local policy dictates)
***PLEASE NOTE: If you post using the My Freecycle website, these options are already available for you in the Post tab.
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
4. NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organisation for this. It can be quite fun.
5. RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
6. NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
7. A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle Member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.)
Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-Day Rule.)
8. SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as an organisation assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be at home at the time of pickup.
9. PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME "WANTED" POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH.
10. YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your email as well as in the subject line. Eg, 'I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Speedway and Stone.'
***PLEASE NOTE: If you post using the My Freecycle website, there is a place to put your location already available for you in the Post tab.
11. KEEP IT ALL IN ONE E-MAIL. Got more than one thing to give away? Keep it all in one email please and just number the items for your own clarity. This reduces the overall number of emails we all have to receive.
12. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Some groups say yes, but keep it legal and lovingly careful. Other groups say no, please refer to the SPCA (http://www.rspca.org.au/) to find pet-related resources locally. It depends on what you and your fellow members have decided locally. However, posts about pets for breeding purposes are not allowed in any Freecycle groups.
13. PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. I always ask that people consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty quickly with your fellow Freecycle group members.
Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
14. DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners and moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
For assistance email: YarrawongaVIC@mods.freecycle.org
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.