Dear CatonsvilleMd Freecycle(TM) Member,
Thanks for being a part of The (ever-expanding) Freecycle Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time! This message is
sent to all subscribers upon joining, and periodically thereafter to the entire list.
If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Freecycle group, please read on!
This Freecycle group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep
usable items out of the landfill.
By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the
earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community
involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!
CatonsvilleMd Freecycle is part of the incredibly fast-growing international Freecycle movement, which began in Tucson, AZ on
May 1st, 2003 and now boasts thousands of groups all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all
personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea.
So, why not "pay it forward" and tell 3 (or more) people how wonderful Freecycle is! You tell your friends, your family, your
neighbors, your co-workers... and they tell theirs, and so on, and so on... well, you get the idea!
USING THE FREECYCLE(TM) LIST
To post a message, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or click on "post" at the CatonsvilleMd Freecycle
group web site (see link below).
To unsubscribe, login and click the My Groups link at the top right. A screen will appear with all of the groups that you belong to.
Next to the CatonsvilleMd group, in the drop down box select the â€œRemove The Group From This Listingâ€ option and then click the
â€œMake It Soâ€ green button and you will be unsubscribed from the group.
To leave the My Freecycle site completely, login and click the â€œMy Infoâ€ link under the My Freecycle link at the top right. Then click
the green â€œDelete Accountâ€ button and follow the prompts to leave the site.
To post, read, or reply to messages or to manage your membership settings (including email delivery options), visit the group site
(AKA main page) at: http://www.freecycle.org/group/CatonsvilleMd
To read list archives (especially helpful for new members who may find recent posts of interest there), visit the main page and click
on "messages" on the left.
For more information on Freecycle in general and a list of other approved Freecycle groups, visit http://www.freecycle.org/ (Highly
The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette sheet. A certain structure helps the group run
smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of
us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good Luck, Have Fun & Thank You for keeping Good Stuff
out of the Landfills!
The following are required rules which some local groups also choose to adopt:
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example,
* no pornography, * no alcohol, * no tobacco, * no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), * no firearms or other weapons.
Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that.
2. SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view. (There may be slight
variations on these from group to group as well).
* OFFER: thingamajig (Your General Location) * TAKEN: thingamajig (Used in conjunction with Offer) * WANTED: thingamajig, any condition. (Your General Location) [Please use this post sparingly and don't offer money. And above all else, don't ask for an extravagant item like a diamond
ring which we'd all like to have or the strike rule will kick in - see no. 1 above] * RECEIVED: thingamajig (Used in response to Wanted) * ADMIN: (Used by Owners and Mods - local policy dictates)
3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E
-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
4. NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no
strings attached, just give it away now.
5. RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer no. of emails.
6. NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN.
Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed.
There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
7. A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so
when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as
possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in
return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver
tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three
days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.)
8. SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to
be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a
organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the
front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.
The following are optional rules which some local groups also choose to adopt:
9. PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME "WANTED" POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. (There will be variations from group to
10. YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. OFFER Couch
(downtown). "I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Speedway and Stone."
11. KEEP IT ALL IN ONE E-MAIL. Got more than one thing to give away? Keep it all in one e-mail please and just number the items
for your own clarity. This reduces the overall number of emails we all have to receive. Some groups don't do this rule.
12. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE GROUPS TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Some groups say yes, but keep it legal & lovingly
careful. Other groups say no, please refer to Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com) to find a pet locally. It depends on what you and
your fellow members have decided on locally. However, posts about pets for breeding purposes are not allowed in Freecycle
13. PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can
pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. I always ask that people consider giving your starving local charity preference if one
should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise
you'll become unpopular pretty fast with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person
at a time or ask for the recipient's phone no. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls. Some groups do not allow phone
numbers and addresses to be posted due to safety concerns for their members. Again, this is local policy.
Once your Offer has been Taken or your Wanted has been received, do not post a new message to the group. Click on the My
Posts link under the My Freecycle link on the top right and next to the post that is no longer available, select the â€œMark as Takenâ€ or
â€œMark as Receivedâ€ option. You can also remove the post completely from My Freecycle by selecting the â€œRemove post from My
That should just about do it. Have fun keeping good stuff out of landfills!
Your friendly neighborhood Freecycle moderator,
Catonsville MD Moderators Catonsville@mods.freecycle.org
(C) 2003, The Freecycle Network(TM). All rights reserved. Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries.
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.