Freecycle Etiquette / Rules
LOS ALAMOS FREECYCLETM ETIQUETTE LETTER
Dear Freecycle member,
Thanks for being a part of the ever-expanding FreecycleTM Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time! This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining and to all existing members once a month. It is a long message, but it contains essential knowledge for all Freecycle members and will answer MANY common new-user questions, so please take the time to read through it.
Begun on August 30, 2004, the Los Alamos Freecycle group is a branch of an incredibly fast-growing international movement, which began in Tucson, AZ, on May 1st, 2003, and now boasts more than 1,298 offshoots from Japan to Wichita, with more than 437,919 members. Our local list is also growing fast as well, topping more than 950 members. If you tell your friends and relatives about it, and they tell theirs...well, you get the idea.
We ask that your first post be an OFFER as a new member and we ask that you put your general location in your OFFER. There are to be no repeat postings more than once a month.
The following list rules have been adapted from the original network etiquette sheet. A certain structure definitely makes the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good luck and have fun!
FREECYCLE RULES & ETIQUETTE
1) KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example, no alcohol, tobacco, firearms or drugs, legal or otherwise. Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main rule and it's a pretty easy one at that. No advertising your yard sale, though, as you're looking for money and that isn't free.
2) YOUR FIRST POST EVER TO THE GROUP SHOULD BE AN OFFER. In the spirit of giving, we would ask that you make your first posting to the group an "OFFER". No offer is too small.
3) PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH.
4) NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderators after two inappropriate postings.
5) YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: If you are posting by email, don’t forget to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. If you are posting via the Web site, you’ll see a space for location. (i.e. “near Urban Park,” or “Pajarito Acres.”)
6) CAN WE USE THE FREECYCLE GROUP TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Yes, keep it legal & be lovingly careful. Please visit http://www.petfinder.com/ to look up other pet-related resources in Los Alamos.
7) NO TRADING PLEASE.
8) PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. We always ask that people consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become the boo man pretty fast. Also: only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number, otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
9) DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK. Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners and moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or communication.
10) SAFETY: Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a listserv assumes no responsibility for this risk. If you, for example, are a single woman living alone, you may want to tell the person you’re giving an item to that you'll leave the item on the front porch while you are not home. (But see #11 above, don't post to the whole group that the item will be left outside for pick up.)
11) NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Offering oneself (or one's shy friends) is, I'm afraid, not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose, or you could try Craig's List. Offering your kids is not on the menu either, no matter how crazy they make you sometimes. Try getting them involved in after-school band practice.
12) A BRIEF NOTE ON ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-Day Rule.)
USING THE FREECYCLE LIST OFFER/WANTED messages: • Login to my.freecycle.org, and click on the "My Posts" tab. • Click "Make a new post" and use the drop down menu to choose either Offer or Wanted. • Fill in a brief description and click "Make this Post" to post your message (please note, if your membership is moderated, you will need to wait for moderator approval before your message is posted). • Posts can also be sent via email. -The email for posting messages is: email@example.com. Please note that all posts sent via email are automatically held for approval by a moderator before they are posted to the group. • Please be sure to use the correct posting format in the subject line of your email (ex. OFFER: couch: midtown).
TAKEN/RECEIVED messages: If you have posted an item that has been picked up by someone, you should post a Taken message so others don’t continue to ask for the item. Received messages are to be posted only by those who have posted a Wanted message and received what they were looking for. Please don’t post a Received message if you are on the receiving end of another person’s Offer message!
My Freecycle was designed so that when a Taken message is sent to the board, the original Offer is automatically removed from the board. This way, you can visit the site and quickly see what Offers and Wanteds are open without having to search through the board for a Taken message.
If you have an open Offer or Wanted on the board, and need to mark it as TAKEN or RECEIVED:
Login to my.freecycle.org and click on "My Posts"
To the left you will see your open posts, with two options available for each post: Mark as Taken/Received or Remove from My Freecycle.
Choose "Mark as Taken" (or Received if you had previously posted a Wanted).
You will be brought to a new screen that has a default Taken (Received) message. You can edit this message if you choose. If you do not, simply click "Send Taken message."
Your Offer/Wanted will then be removed from the board. Those who choose to receive emails will also receive an email notification with your Taken/Received message.
To post a photo with your Offer:
Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Posts" tab.
Click "Make a new post" and use the drop down menu to choose Offer.
Click "Browse" to choose a photo on your computer.
Click "Make the Post" after adding the photo.
To keep track of your Offers/Wanteds:
Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Posts" tab. Your open Offers/Wanteds will be displayed by date.
To close your Offer/Wanted, click "Mark as Taken" or "Mark as Received" and follow the prompts.
If the item was not Taken or Received, but you would like to remove the post from the board, click "Remove post from My Freecycle.” To change your email preferences:
Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Groups" tab.
Click the drop down menu to see the available email delivery options. The options are: to receive all postings via email, or to stop receiving post emails (Please note, if you choose to receive no emails, you will still receive special notices from the moderator). After choosing your option, click: "Make it So."
To change your password, email address, or to delete your account:
Login my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Info" tab.
Click on the appropriate button and make the changes. Remember to click on the prompt to save your changes. To view your Group's files:
Login to my.freecycle.org and click on the "My Groups" tab.
Click on your group name. When you are brought to your Group's page, click the "Group Info" tab, and then click on "Files". The group's files will be displayed. Click on an individual file to download and review. To contact your Group's moderator team:
Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org . We hope this helps you all. Enjoy!
Cathy, Tom, Jan, and Alecia Freecycle Los Alamos Moderators
Please login or sign up to My Freecycle to join this group.